Scholastic Book Fairs Safety Practices
We’ve made important changes to your Scholastic Book Fair this school year, so you can focus on what matters most - your kids.
While health officials say the risk of getting coronavirus from hard surfaces like our cases, boxes, and books is extremely low, we’ve incorporated new safety processes, as recommended by government health officials. In fact, we have even more stringent protocols - including new workplace guidelines and training for our distribution teams, our drivers, a safety toolkit for all in-school Book Fairs, and new, simplified Fair options to meet your school’s unique needs.
The safety and well-being of our customers, community, and team members remains our top priority, and you can always depend on us to uphold the highest standards. Here are just some of the extra precautions we’re taking to make your in-school or Virtual Book Fair as safe as possible.
Safety In Our Facilities
With guidance from the CDC, WHO, and other health and safety experts, we’ve put in place a series of preventive measures at our distribution facilities across the country to keep our employees and customers safe and - though already low - to further minimize any transmission risk with our books and boxes, whether we’re delivering them by truck to your school or shipping them to your families’ homes. These measures include:
- COVID-19 safety training and guidebook, led by health and safety committees, for all team members.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) - including masks and gloves - required for all employees and daily, mandatory health screening protocols.
- Isolation barriers installed in reception areas and near busy corridors.
- Hand-sanitizing stations placed throughout all facilities.
- Positioning of directional signage and floor markers to ensure appropriate physical distancing and reduced/limited occupancy in common areas.
- PPE and health screening protocols required for visitors/vendors.
- Equipment and common areas cleaned and sanitized daily, and between shifts: frequent, deep cleaning of all facility areas.
Safety For Our Drivers
The CDC confirms that the risk of spread from boxes and equipment (or shipped packages, if you’re hosting a Virtual Book Fair) is incredibly low because of the time it takes items to get from our warehouse to their destination - similar to delivering school lunches or supplies. Still, we’re taking extra precautions to protect the safety and well-being of our drivers and your school community:
- COVID-19 training and safety training for our drivers and any team members who visit your school.
- Approved PPE for our drivers to keep you (and them) as safe as possible.
- Daily wellness screening protocols implemented before departing our facility.
- Sanitizing our cases before they arrive at your school, (including wiping down any high-touch points when they drop off and pick up your Fair).
- Sanitization procedures for our trucks before and after every delivery.
Safety At Your Fair
Along with adhering to our company health and safety policies, our employees will abide by all campus-wide and building-specific protocols to keep your employees, students, and community safe. Along with the safety protocol outlined by our warehouse facilities, we’ll also provide simple, step-by-step instructions to help you run a safe Fair.
- Cases will already be sanitized, but as an extra precaution, our drivers will re-sanitize any high-touch areas upon arrival and pickup.
- Your Fair will be unloaded at a predetermined location away from students and staff, and we can even arrange contactless delivery and/or curbside drop-off and pickup.
- Upon request, our drivers can place cases and boxes in a pre-selected area at your direction. They’ll wear masks, use clean gloves, and will wipe down surfaces before and after delivery. And they’ll take care not to interact with staff or students while working.
- If you’re hosting an in-school Book Fair, you’ll receive a safety kit with a setup checklist (created using regulated health & safety guidelines), physical distancing floor stickers, and safety signs.
- If you’re hosting a Virtual Book Fair, your orders will be packaged and handled by staff wearing gloves and other personal protective equipment.
We will continue to closely monitor and assess our practices to ensure we are following the most current guidance and expert advice, and we’re prepared to adjust our operations and procedures as needed to ensure the continued health and well-being of your students, staff, and families.
Visit our Safe, Easy, and Essential page to learn more about our new flexible, simplified, and safe Book Fair options.